A) THE NAVE
The church has a basilical plant, but with the presbytery of the former
basilica highly elevated (see the 1744 plan in pict.A1), with three naves
divided by two rows of seven columns of different materials and origins, datable
around I-II century and perhaps partially coming from the porch of the ancient
Aesculapius temple (pict.A2); the bases of the columns are the
original ones while the stucco capitals date back to the century XVIII
restoration. The
lacunar ceiling dates 1624 but restored by the pope Pius IX in 1865 (pict.A3);
the three larger panels have been painted by friar Bonaventura Loffredo: in the
middle one "St.Bartholomew refuses to adore the pagan idols".
The original cosmatesco floor has been lost during the restorations in century
XVIII and has been completely remade in century
XIX.
At the left of the entrance one can be recognize the remaining structures of the
bell tower base; in 1625, when the faēade was moved forward, two sides of the
base of the bell tower were opened to form the initial part of the left nave.
In each nave there are three chapels, none of which have remarkable works
of art: many paintings have been deeply altered and often damaged by the Tiber
floodings.
Starting from the left nave one can see: the Chapel of St.Antonius from Padua,
at first decorated by Antonio Caracci but subsequently altered in century XIX;
the Chapel of Our Lady of Peace, perhaps the first work of a still inexperienced
Antonio Caracci, performed in 1609-10 for order of the cardinal Tonti; the Chapel
of the Passion or Crucifix Jesus, in a very bad state, also decorated by Caracci
in 1610-11.
In the right nave, in order: the Chapel of St.Francesca Romana, born and lived
in the neighbour of the basilica; the Chapel of St.Carlo Borromeo, the last work
of Caracci in the basilica (1612-14); the Chapel of St.Francis of Assisi,
originally dedicated to St.Bonaventura.
Page
top
B) THE TRANSEPT
In the middle of the stairs leading to the presbytery there is the most remarkable
element of the church:
the well-curb constituting the ideal link to the ancient Aesculapius temple. (pict.B1) For
a detailed description refer to the section In detail.
The main altar in white marble, gift of the pope Pius IX (see section The
history), is supported by a red porphyry basin with a lion shaped prothom,
relief handles and a cartouche with the inscription "CORPUS SANCTI BARTHOLOMAEI
APOSTOLI" [Body of the saint Bartholomew] testifying the presence of the St.Bartholomew
relics (pict.B2). Two fragments of the old cosmatesco floor are still
inserted in the floor. In the apse is represented the "St.Bartholomew martyrdom"
by Francesco
Manno (1806) who performed also the architectural restoration of the apse,
while the "Crhist in glory and saints" in the apse basin and
the other frescoes are by Bonaventura Loffredo.
In the right side of the transept two Romanic stilofori [column supporting]
lions (century XII) 
probably previously placed at the entrance of the ancient church (pict.B3-4),
lead to the chapel of the Virgo or of the Holy Sacrament, also known as Chapel Orsini di
Pitigliano, from the family that assumed its patronage in the XVII century; the
axis of the chapel, not corresponding to the basilica one, could date back its
origin to the ancient basilical building. The ceiling is attributed to Martino Longhi
the Older (1601). Above the frontal of the altar decorated with polychrome
marbles (pict.B5)
and keeping the St.Teodora's relics (as indicated by the inscription "HIC IACET CORPUS BEATĘ THEODORĘ MATRONĘ ROMANĘ"
[here lies the body of the blessed roman matron Teodora]), there is an ancient
fresco (end of century XIII) found out in 1904 and representing the
"Virgo on the throne with the blessing Infant Jesus and saints"
(pict.B6).
In the left wall of the chapel it is set a cannon ball fallen into the
church during the clashes in 1849; more information are in the section In
detail.
On the right wall of the transept, before entering the chapel, a round brass
basin of Arab make is kept behind an iron grating (century X-XI) (pict.B7).
According to the tradition it was the container, or its cover,
used to collect the St.Bartholomew relics during their transport from Benevento
to Rome.
In the left side of the transept there is the old sacristy which became a chapel
due to Julius III (middle of century XVI); it was dedicated at first to St.Paolino from
Nola, represented "in glory" (1704)
in the middle of the vault, and at present to
St.Adalberto. Above
the altar, below a XVII century Annunciation, there is a painting (pict.B8)
representing the "Assunta with saints Paolino, Adalbert, Esuperanzio e
Marcellus" (1665); their relics, with the exception of the St.Paolino
ones moved to Nola in 1909, are still kept in the chapel. The chapel
constituted up to 1846 the see of the Millers Brotherhood under the protection of St.Paolino
and is decorated with images relevant to their activity shown in the section In
detail. A plaque on the left wall commemorates a restoration carried out
in 1626.
A door on the right wall leads to the present sacristy.
Page
top
C) THE CRYPT
From the little garden at the left side of the church it is possible to come
down to
the
crypt, originally
accessible from the church nave through two flights of stairs. In the crypt, collapsed
during the 1557 flooding together the upper apse, and whose restoring has been
completed in 1975, it can be
recognized the ancient plant of the church with small naves and cross-vaults
supported by two rows of three small columns; two capitals, original from the
ancient
basilica, are decorated with the imperial crowned
eagle (pict.C1)
symbol of Otto III. In a small room there are a roman tombstone, used as architrave,
and two eighteenth-century grave stones (pict.C2).
Page
top
REFERENCE BIBLIOGRAPHY
"Isola Tiberina" Fabrizio
Plateroti - 2000 - Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato
"S. Bartolomeo all'Isola Tiberina" Marco Pupillo - 1998 - Ed.
Angelo Guerrini e Associati SpA
"Guide rionali di Roma: R.XII - Ripa; Parte I" Daniela
Gallavotti Cavallero - 1977 - Flli Palombi Editori
Page
top
|