Island Chronology



The events considerable to the Island history are listed below in chronological order.
Abbreviations: bC: before Christ; aUc: ab Urbe condita (from the Rome foundation); the dating is after Christ (AD) if not otherwise indicated.
The following graphic legend has been used for the side time-bar:
















                509 bC
(245 aUc)
According to the legend the mud amassed on the harvest of the last Rome king Tarquinio il Superbo, thrown to the Tiber by the Romans after they expelled him from the town, generate the Tiber Island

                293 bC
(461 aUc)
During a serious plague and after consulting the Sibillini books it was decided to send an embassy to Epidaurus

                292-291 bC
(463 aUc)
The messengers sent to Epidaurus come back with the sacred snake that  settles in the Island

                289 bC Inauguration of the Aesculapius temple in the south-east end of the island

                259 bC
(495 aUc)
Arrangement of the Island in the shape of a ship, according to Gaetano Moroni that indicates the date "495 di Roma"

                194 bC The temples of Faunus, at the north west-end, and the Veiove one are built

                194 bC The temple of Giove Giurario is built in the central part of the island

                181-179 bC Construction, by the censors Marco Emilio Lepido and Marco Fulvio Nobiliore, of the stone pillars of Ponte Emilio on which a wooden footbridge was located 

                142 bC Construction of the four stone arches of Ponte Emilio by Publio Scipione Emiliano and Lucio Mummida

                I sec bC Probable arrangement of the Island in the shape of a ship (from: Lexicon Topographicum)

                62 bC Stone construction of Ponte Fabricio by Lucio Fabricio, curator viarum [responsible of the roads]

                46 bC Stone construction of Ponte Cestio by Lucio Sestio 

                21 bC Restoration of Ponte Fabricio by the consules Marco Lollio and Quinto Lepido

                46 AD The Claudius edict makes free the ill slaves abandoned in the Aesculapius temple

                370 Restoration of Ponte Cestio by the emperor Gratian

                463 Probable reconstruction, according to Casimiro d'Aracoeli, of the St.Giovanni Calibita church after its destruction by Genseric

                537 Vitige cuts the aqueducts: Belisario creates the floating water mills

                997-1001 The emperor Otto III builts the church of St.Adalberto (subsequently of St.Bartholomew)

                1018 A papal bull by Benedictus VIII is the first documented trace of the St.Giovanni Calibita church

                1160 The church of St.Adalberto changes its denomination to St.Bartholomew

                1191-1193 Restoration of Ponte Cestio by Benedetto Carushomo

                1366 The pope Urbano V assign the Santucce nuns to the St.Giovanni Calibita church

                1513 The church of St.Bartholomew is entrusted to the Franciscans

                1573-1575 Restoration of Ponte Emilio during the pontificate of Gregorius XIII

                1598 Further restoration of Ponte Emilio

                1584 Setting up of the first nucleus of the Fatebenefratelli hospital

                1598 A flooding definitively destroys the left arch of Ponte Emilio that from then is known as Ponte Rotto

                1624 The St.Barthlomew façade is moved forward incorporating the old porch

                1639 Costruction of the Franciscan monastery wing at the left of St.Bartholomew

                1656 The island become a Lazzaretto during the plague

                1679 Remaking of the facing of Ponte Fabricio by Innocenzo XI (see marble plaque)

                1700 Restoration of the Fatebenefratelli hospital by Carapecchia: the building of the Assunta Hall is commonly referred to this date

                1791 The islet previously created by the river flow erosion is reconnected to the Tiber Island

                1849 The clashes during the resistance of the Repubblica Romana concerned also the Island

                1853 Construction of the iron walkway to connect Ponte Rotto to the left bank

                1854 In the underground of the St.Giovanni Calibita church a floor fragment is found, probably belonging to the ancient temple of Giove Giurario 

                1869 The spire by Ignazio Giacometti is erected in the middle of the St.Bartholomew square

                1870 Exceptional flooding (mt.17.22 at Ripetta) which level is documented by a plaque

                1875 Approval of the Canevari project for the construction of the embankments

                1876 Let out the first contract for the construction of the embankments

                1877 Demolition of the Ponte Rotto arches to the Trastevere bank for the construction of the new Ponte Palatino

                1888 Ponte Cestio is  dismantled and widened according to the new width of the right river branch stated in the Canevari project

                1888-1889 Demolition of the Franciscan monastery wing at the right of St.Bartholomew in order to widen the Tiber right branch and Ponte Cestio

                1886-1891 Construction of Palatino Bridge

                1892 Ponte Cestio is reopened after its rebuilding with three arches of the same width

                1900 Due to an exceptional flooding (mt.16.17 at Ripetta) a piece of bank just built falls down at Lungotevere of the Anguillara

                1901 Construction of the "bridles" under the lateral arches of Ponte Cestio

                1926 Completion of the last section of the embankments under the Aventino

                1930 Starting of the demolition of the small houses at the west end of the island in order to enlarge the Fatebenefratelli hospital

                1934 Completion of the restoration of the Fatebenefratelli hospital in the present configuration

                1937 The last big flood of the Tiber (mt.16.90 at Ripetta) which level is documented by two plates

Page top